Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Overflowing with Ideas

I now have no less than three different ideas for Middle Grade and YA novels. The one I'm currently working on (still half way) and two more.

This weekend, Mark and I were driving by a florist shop in Baltimore. I saw the name and said "That sounds like the title of a fantasy novel of some sort." Mark instantly had the plot. Soon, I had dreampt up the characters, and now I'm wrapped up in creating the setting and attempting to put it on paper before it has faded from my memory.

Mark and I plan to work on this one together, although I really wish I had the time and energy right now to just sit down and let it all flow out of me in one big rush. That would be such a relief and would help me relax too. These characters are haunting me.

Idea #2: I was looking around for something historical to write about. I want to either do non-fiction or an historical novel. I was researching famous teenagers throughout history, and somehow I landed on figure skaters. As a teen, I loved watching figure skating, and I looked up to young skaters like Michelle Kwan. I combined this love with an historical event, and boom! The idea was born. Its a Middle Grade novel that takes place in the 1960's and revolves around figure skating, and that's all I'm going to say about it for now.

The problem, of course, is that I must work and eat and sleep. I can't write all day, or even every day. And I can't let myself get lost in a new project if it means abandoning my current one, which is very likely since I'm half way through and running out of steam.

What's odd is that I used to think I could never write a novel, and now they're all I can think about. I'm constantly putting myself up to the challenge. I can write anything and everything I want to. As I sometimes say, I could write my way out of a paper bag, and I could write my way out of a plot hole if I had to.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. . . in my own time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's the name of the florist shop?

Dawn Embers said...

The ice skating one sounds awesome. I used to love watching ice skating, all the time. Mens, womens, couples, didn't matter. I'd watch that and gymnastics when the olympics came on the tv. Don't watch anymore.

I know how you feel about the overflowing. I have the finished adult book, my teen one not quite done, started two other novels and am writing notes on an idea I got recently. So many ideas and so little time.

Laurie said...

Your ideas sound super!

BTW - My daughter's German teacher is a professional figure skate. (she is also very nice) So if you are looking for people to interview . . .

Laurie said...

I meant "skater"

Although the idea of someone being a professional figure skate is really interesting.