Thursday, May 28, 2009

Teenage Angst

You've heard the saying "write what you know," right? I think that's part of the reason why I like to write for teens. I was a teenager not so long ago myself, and I can totally relate to their up and down emotions, struggles and daily life.

I was the kind of girl in high school who was in love with both the captain of the football team and the geeky guy who played trumpet in band. I was an orch dork and overweight and invisible.

I also realize, when I look back at my life now, that I was such a monster to my parents sometimes. Between the ages of 11 and 13 I picked so many fights with my parents simply because I wasn't afraid to express my opinion. I never snuck out late at night, but I was a holey terror when it came to getting my way.

In a way, I still feel like a teenager. I'm not afraid to take chances, I'm independant until I simply can't handle a situation anymore, and I'm still full of insecurities.

"Write what you know" doesn't mean write what you do every day. It's more about what you've felt and seen, dreamed and overheard. We all have a little angst left in us if we dig deep enough, and that's why I think sometimes it's not so hard to find a story within yourself that teens can relate to.

I had an idea today for a book called "Obesity Blues." I think I might start it out as a short story, as it's just a glimmer of something right now. Besides, I can't handle thinking about yet another YA novel at this point. The title just came to me- kind of a play on "Varisty Blues" I think. Anyway, I hope it comes out of me soon.

No comments: